Trabber News

news about cheap fares and airlines from travel search engine Trabber

News about Brussels Airlines

Brussels Airlines joins Star Alliance

9 December 2009

At an official ceremony held in Brussels’ historic “‘Grand-Place’” today, the CEOs of the Star Alliance member airlines welcomed Brussels Airlines to the family.

Brussels Airlines is the Belgian airline offering the widest choice of flights to and from the “‘capital’” of Europe. With a fleet of 51 aircraft the airline operates some 200 daily flights to 55 European airports and 14 African destinations.

source: Travel News

Lufthansa to buy SN Brussels

25 June 2009

The European Union has given Lufthansa, the German national carrier, the green light to purchase SN Brussels, after it was agreed the merger would not create a monopoly over some of Europe’s most lucrative routes. It is not clear how much money Lufthansa is offering, although it is expected to take up a 45% stake in SN Brussels in a month. Lufthansa will also have an option of buying the remaining 55% shares in 2011.

source: The Observer

Brussels Airlines to join Star Alliance

5 March 2009

At their annual Board Meeting, the CEO’s of the Star Alliance member airlines have voted to accept the application of Brussels Airlines to become a future member of the alliance.

Brussels Airlines is the Belgian airline offering the widest choice of flights to and from the “capital” of Europe. With a fleet of 45 aircraft the airline operates some 300 daily flights to 55 European airports and also serves 15 African destinations.


Brussels Airlines to join Star Alliance

12 December 2008

Brussels Airlines is to become a member of the Star Alliance. The airline alliance has voted at its annual board meeting to accept the application of the carrier to become a future member.

The move follows Star Alliance member Lufthansa’s purchase of a 45% stake in the carrier back in September. The German carrier also has plans to take full ownership within two years.

Glenn Tilton, chairman, president and CEO of United Airlines, in his role as chairman of Star Alliance, said, “‘Brussels Airlines further strengthens the Star Alliance by offering greater connectivity throughout Europe and Africa to better serve the international travel needs of all our customers’.”


Lufthansa buys stake in Belgian airline

16 September 2008

Deutsche Lufthansa, the second-largest European airline, agreed to buy 45 percent of SN Brussels Airlines for €65 million as the pace of consolidation in the industry accelerates.

Europe’s largest carriers are vying to buy smaller competitors to expand networks and cut costs amid slowing economic growth and surging fuel bills. Lufthansa has also been linked with bids for Austrian Airlines Group, Scandinavian carrier SAS Group and BMI of Britain. Air France-KLM is the largest European carrier.

source: IHT

Airline flies slower to cut costs

23 April 2008

Belgium’s Brussels Airlines has announced it is slowing speeds and reducing weight on some of its aircraft in order to reduce fuel costs.

The airline said slowing its planes by about 10km/h would cut its annual fuel bill by 1m euros ($1.6m; £800,000) and add a minute or two to flight times.

The measures will also reduce the airline’s emissions of global warming greenhouse gases, a spokesman said.

source: BBC News

Brussels Airline to add four flights to East Africa

4 July 2007

Belgian flag carrier Brussels Airlines is to introduce four more aircraft for its East African customers.

This is in a review of its operations in the region that will see the line take on competition from Nairobi and Entebbe.

In the realignment that takes effect from December 16, Entebbe will get two new direct flights to Europe per week while Rwanda and Burundi will get an additional service each.


SN Brussels + Virgin Express = Brussels Airlines

8 November 2006

The marriage between SN Brussels Airlines and Virgin Express has resulted in the birth of Brussels Airlines, a new generation of airline. The new product line-up of Brussels Airlines meets the real needs of a new generation of both business and low-cost travellers : flexibility, service and timesaving for the former, and the lowest fare guarantee for the latter.

The new name is a perfect description of Brussels Airlines’ activities, because, from its home base at Brussels Airport, the airline connects the capital of Europe with over 50 European destinations as well as several intercontinental networks.